Friday 23 July 2010

Sweet Promise


Somehow, visiting Amble harbour is always enriched by chips with batter and a cup of tea and it was whilst feasting on this banquet sitting on a bench by the dock that I watched a man walk past me pushing a bogie laden with tools. He spoke to everyone as he passed sharing a few words and a joke. It didn't take much journalistic instinct to spot that he was a local man on his way to mend a boat.
Chips duly eaten and feeling refreshed by a sweet cup of tea I decided to follow him just to see. Indeed he entered the boatyard behind the harbour and began to unload his tools next to a Northumbrian Coble undergoing restoration. He was more than happy to chat and allow me to take some photographs of him while he repaired a splinter on the side of the boat.
I discovered that 'Sweet Promise' is a traditional Northumbrian Coble built in Hartlepool around 100 years ago, restored by Hector over four years from 1978.
Hector Handyside grew up in Amble living next to the Little Shore, a place we visited regularly as children, a lovely little bay sheltered with breakwaters from the anger of the North Sea and a family favourite still. I told Hector I was on my way to photograph in the boatyard and discovered that this was where he spent his working life.
We chatted for the next two hours and he extracted almost my whole life story and I never did make it to the boatyard, but if I had I could not have had a more enjoyable afternoon.
Reluctantly leaving to keep a prior arrangement I said to Hector with deep sincerity that I hoped I would meet with him again during my photography in Amble and he wryly replied, 'That would be nice, and maybe next time you could interview me?'

2 comments:

  1. if u do get 2 interview hector handyside about building cobles at amble try and get an interview with john handyside sen about the fishing he retire as skipper of the radiant morn at the age of 83 about 6 years ago .yours k Anderson

    ReplyDelete