Sunday 25 July 2010

Newton and Craster, Northumberland

After a week of high winds I finally got to go to sea with Gary Little, the only remaining commercial lobster fisherman fishing out of Low Newton.
Excited at the prospect my constant chatter was politely entertained and we launched the runner heading for his boat 'Hauxley Haven' moored further out in the bay.
Blue sky, turquoise sea the atmosphere was just amazing but around 40 minutes later I was on the verge of asking Gary to take me back to shore, I had not felt as ill as this for years! Looking through the camera lens made me feel incredibly sea sick but luckily, I had to move to the other end of the boat to allow Gary space to haul in his pots and standing up was was a huge relief and I felt I could make it to the end of the trip.
I got to see sea creatures that I had previously only seen in books, all returned carefully to the sea along with small lobsters, soft ones and hens marked for preservation.
Some lobster were seperated from the rest of the catch to be supplied to The Ship Inn for their renowned Friday night menu, the remainder was to be sold to the fishmonger at Craster.
Once I found my 'sealegs' I had a fantastic trip, the effects of which stayed with me through supper and breakfast - Rocking and Rolling!

Read about Gary in The Northumbrian Magazine October issue 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment